|Home » Infill Housing Program|
Infil Housing Program
The Infil Housing Program is designed to help first time home buyers become owners of a newly constructed single family home in Council Bluffs. This is done by providing qualified applicant(s) with down payment assistance grants up to $20,000. The assistance funds come from HUD as Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and/or Home Investment Partnership (HOME) funds and are combined with private resources to specifically assist low to moderate-income families. This program is administered by NeighborWorks® Home Solutions (NWHS), a nonprofit organization, with financial and technical assistance provided by the City of Council Bluffs.
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY —
To qualify for this program, the application must be submitted with written proof showing that the applicant(s) meet the following requirements:
1. The applicant(s) must be first-time home buyers which means they cannot have owned a home in the last 3 years or have any interest in residential property other than the home to be purchased under the Housing Infil Program.
2. The applicant(s) must meet HUD guidelines for their household being low to moderate income. The annual gross household income cannot exceed the HUD established maximums as follows:
HOUSEHOLD SIZE & MAXIMUM
ANNUAL GROSS INCOME
NOTE: A Household includes all persons of any age and relationship who will live permanently or temporarily during the first twelve months of ownership.
3. All adults living in the home must provide evidence that they have attended an approved home buyer training course
4. All persons living in the home must provide evidence that they are legal residence in the United States.
5. The applicant(s) cannot have received over $5,000 in CDBG or HOME assistance to acquire or rehabilitate a property during the last 20 years.
6. The applicant(s) must submit a complete application and have it approved.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES —
1. Application forms can only be obtained from NWHS. Applicant(s) must first contact the NWHS office for a phone interview to identify any special applicant circumstances and to ensure the applicants are made aware of any program changes
2. The applicant(s) must show they qualify for first mortgage financing and be able to pay for normal closing costs for the selected property. A mortgage pre-approval letter from an acceptable lending institution is required for referral to Infil builders or to be placed on the builder waiting list.
3. The applicant(s) shall have satisfactorily completed the 8 hour Pre-Purchase Home Buyer Workshop offered by the Family Housing Advisory Services, Inc. (FHAS) and have received a Certificate of Achievement. The workshop is free; however, a nominal $25.00 fee is assessed for materials. Applicant(s) should call FHAS to register for the course. Certificate is required for approval of the down payment assistance grant. While the course can be taken any time, it is recommended that applicants take the course as soon as possible.
4. The maximum amount of financial assistance to be provided shall be $20,000. The grants are forgiven over a 10 year period. Any portion of the grant which is not forgiven must be repaid within 10 years of the sale/closing date. Repayment of the grant is required if: title to ownership and/or any other interest in the property is sold and/or transferred to another party; a party, other than the purchaser and their immediate family, rents, leases, and/or occupies the property; occupancy of the property is abandoned for a period of 60 consecutive days; or a violation of the terms and conditions of the Housing Infill Program is committed.
5. The applicant(s) must submit a residential insurance binder, listing the city as the second mortgage prior to closing.
Any person aggrieved in the determination of income may appeal in writing to the Director of Community Development. Upon receipt of an appeal, the Director shall make a decision to approve or deny the appeal within fourteen (14) days.
NeighborWorks® Home Solutions
Ph: (402) 451-2939
FHAS Home Buyer Course
Registration: (402) 934-6743
Eligibility shall not be based on race, color, national origin, sex, religion, familial status or disability.
|MORE NEIGHBORWORKS NEWS|